Seeing wildlife up close, in their natural habitat is awe-inspiring. Imagine, in the morning being surrounded by a herd of a hundred elephants and in the afternoon, tracking rhino on foot. The next day seeing lion cubs playing and leopards stalking their prey. In the wild, you can never choose what you’ll see. Every adventure is different.
Which will you choose?
The continent of Africa is vast, and each country has its own unique culture, history and wildlife. No two safaris are the same.
You can see the big five: hippo, elephant, Cape buffalo, lion and leopard in most of these countries, although sightings are never guaranteed! Here are a few distinguishing traits of the most popular safari destinations to inspire you:
- South Africa: Home to the big five and the marine five: seals, dolphins, whales, penguins and sharks. Experiences range from treehouse sleepouts and exhilarating game drives in Kruger National Park to visiting African penguin colonies on the coast. You can also discover the history of Nelson Mandela, relax on the luxury Blue Train, soar to the top of Table Mountain, and indulge in the wine region of Franschhoek.
- Kenya: Enjoy the open plains and rolling hills of the Masai Mara. Learn the ways of the Indigenous people. Walk with rhinos and fall asleep to the sounds of hundreds of hippos. Eat breakfast with giraffes at Giraffe Manor and discover the meaningful work of the Sheldrick Wildlife Foundation. One of the best options for the thrill of the great migration!
- Tanzania: Home to the famed Serengeti plains, the Ngorongoro Crater, two amazing areas for great migration safaris. You can climb Africa’s highest peak, Mount Kilimanjaro, see thousands of pink flamingoes in Lake Manyara and visit the beautiful, spice island of Zanzibar.
- Botswana: Home to the largest elephant population in Africa. Combine this with the opportunity to see water-adapted animals who make the Okavango Delta home. Take a traditional mokoro ride or enjoy a night on the delta floodplains in a houseboat.
Photo Credit: Shari Tucker
If you’ve been on safari before, or you enjoy a little extra adventure, consider a lesser-known destination for your next safari. Don’t forget, you’ll be able to see the big five (elephant, hippo, Cape buffalo, lion and leopard) in almost all of these destinations!
- Namibia: Imagine otherworldly desert landscapes where desert-adapted rhino and lions thrive. Meet nomadic Himba people and marvel at the great sand dunes of Sossusvlei.
- Zimbabwe: Combine amazing wildlife sightings with the power of Victoria Falls. Hop on a bush plane to fly to remote areas, rarely accessed by vehicle. The small planes and dirt runways are sure to be as memorable as the amazing lion, leopard and rhino you might encounter!
- Zambia: Track rhinos on foot and take sunset cruises on the Zambezi River, at the top of Victoria Falls. Enjoy a helicopter ride over the mighty falls and take a hot air balloon over the Busanga plains.
- Rwanda: Go gorilla trekking in Volcanoes National Park and hike to Diane Fossey’s grave. Enjoy one of the highest densities of hippo populations, healthy lion and leopard populations, along with over 500 bird species.
Photo Credit: Dana Allen | Wilderness Safaris
What to expect?
African Safaris are an amazing adventure for all ages. Kids are captivated by the wild animals and enjoy hands-on learning opportunities. Adults will squeal, laugh and cry with amazement at the beauty and power of nature.
Not all safaris are the same. From varied accommodation levels, conservation measures, types of safari transportation, to the number of people in camp and at sightings. It all means a different experience in the wild for you. It’s important to find the right combination of activities and accommodations for your comfort and adventure level.
From overland tours with tenting and cooking your own meals, to the most luxurious lodges and permanent tented camps, built with a light carbon footprint to protect the land and animal’s homes. From open safari vehicles to safaris by boat. From treehouse sleepouts to star-beds. We’ve got hands-on experience with them all, so we’re well-equipped to help you decide which is best for you!
Photo Credit: Mickey Hoyle | Wilderness Safaris
A day on the safari:
While every day on safari is different, most safaris have two game drives per day to get the best viewing opportunities. Your first game drive will be at sunrise and your second at sunset. Animals often nap in the shade during the afternoon to escape the heat … you might want to, too.
Times vary a bit depending on your accommodations, as well as sunrise and sunset times, but you can count on an early morning wakeup call!
5 am – Wake up call, coffee and light breakfast
6 am – Game Drive
9 am – Full breakfast and time to relax.
10 am – Free time, a community activity or activity at camp.
1 pm – Lunch
2 pm – Free time, a community activity or activity at camp.
4 pm – Game Drive & Sundowners (drinks at sunset)
7 pm – Night Game Drive on private reserves
8 pm – Dinner
Photo Credit: S. Stobbs | Wilderness Safaris
For a truly unforgettable African Safari, make sure you have game drives on private reserves. National Parks are over-crowded, have few rules for the protection of the animals and often have tarmac roads which aren’t very authentic to the bush experience. You’ll find your driver jostling for a spot with 10 other vehicles, often compromising the safety and comfort of the animals. Private reserves are more authentic, less crowded and often, you’ll have sightings all to yourself with no one else around.
Photo Credit: Dana Allen | Wilderness Safaris
Strong client relations
“I've known and worked with Shari for years now. She has arranged several trips for me including: Iceland, a tall ship sailing and two trips to Africa. I can always rely on her to provide sound advice. She has taken the time to get to know me and therefore, knows what I like and what doesn’t suit me at all. I appreciate her honesty, rather than trying to sell me something to benefit herself. It makes me feel valued as a client. I would not hesitate to use Shari for my travels and in fact, she is currently working on other bookings for me.”
Kimberley Burke – Kenya, South Africa, Botswana & more
Why Hire Love the Way You Travel?
When you hire us to plan your adventure, it’s important to understand we are not a booking agent or a search engine. We are travel planners who specialize in adventure trips.
If you love off the beaten track adventures, chances are, not too many of your friends or family have 'been there, done that'. How do you know what’s the right fit for you? We work closely with our industry connections to get the best insider information to match your travel dreams. We find the perfect combination of destination, accommodations and experiences. We take care of all the logistics and keeping you informed of country entry / exit requirements, too. Save yourself time, stress and costly mistakes by leaving it all to us!
Investment & Benefits
We pride ourselves in providing you excellent value and exceptional, personalized service. When you hire us, our Planning and Support Fees start from only $300 + tax per household, depending on length and complexity of your trip. We manage your trip from beginning to end, which includes:
- Creation of fully customized itineraries
- Comparison of small group tour, safari, river cruise or small ship cruise options
- 24/7 in-destination emergency support
- Personalized trip app for your phone and tablet
- Access to exclusive deals, perks and value adds that are not available to the general public or online.
- Planting of 25 trees + 0.5 Tonnes of CO2 removed, on your behalf
- Guidance on travel health, safety, insurance, tourist visa, vaccination, PCR testing and country entry requirements
- Professional advice, recommendations and responsible travel tips
Travel is life-changing and should be approached purposefully and respectfully. Ensure you get the personalized service you deserve for your next adventure.
How to begin your adventure
Step 1: Initial Consultation
We’ll dig deep to get to know you and why you love to travel. We’ll explore what a perfect adventure feels like for you, and what destinations you have in mind. We’ll fill you in on what it looks like to work together and then you decide if you’d like to work together on your next adventure.
Step 2: Itinerary Creation
Once you hire us, we start the research and planning for your amazing adventure! We work together to ensure the itinerary is perfect. We’ll discuss the cancellation and refund policies and make sure you have appropriate insurance coverage. We’ll guide you through the process to make sure nothing is missed and that your choices are having a positive impact, whenever possible.
Step 3: Travel Insurance
Insurance is one of the most important pieces of any vacation. It provides financial protection for your vacation investment and peace of mind if you get sick or need medical attention abroad.
We make sure you have the correct coverage for your needs and know exactly who to call in an emergency.
Step 4: Booking Management
Your plans are in place for an amazing adventure, but there’s still lots to be done! From deposits to final payments, online check ins to e-docs, vaccinations and PCR testing requirements. We’ll keep you on track every step of the way, making sure nothing gets missed. Our services continue while you are in destination, with 24/7 Emergency Support.